Responsible Futures at DMU
It is coordinated nationally by the National Union of Students (NUS), and offers a practical framework to develop and audit activities towards Education for the Sustainable Development Goals at universities.
DMU’s participation is a partnership between the university and De Montfort Students’ Union (DSU). As a participant, De Montfort benefits from mentoring support and networking events with other UK universities.
Host Partnership 2020/21
In 2020/21, DMU/DSU is serving as one of the host partnerships for Responsible Futures, organising and hosting knowledge-sharing events for staff and students at universities across the UK.
Three DMU-hosted events are taking place, focussing on:
- Decolonising the Curriculum (January 2021)
- Student-led approaches to sustainability at universities (February 2021)
- Embedding sustainability across a whole institution (April 2021)
Responsible Futures Audit 2021
Responsible Futures participants are accredited for their work on sustainability education by a student-led audit, managed externally by SOS-UK.
Student-led auditing is based upon a range of criteria, such as having a strategic commitment to act on sustainability, employing real-world learning experiences on sustainability issues and running events and educational programmes for staff, students and the general public.
Previously DMU had a successful student-led audit in March 2019. Our follow-up audit takes place in March 2021.
DMU staff and students are invited to support this process by:
- Sharing your stories of events and activities that contribute to the Responsible Futures criteria
- Staff using the criteria to provide ideas on embedding sustainability into taught courses
- Students volunteering to take part in auditing our progress
- Karl Letten, Environment and Sustainability Officer: email@example.com
Further Information and Resources