The 2023 campaign will run from 1st March to 31st March 2023.
The Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) Teach-in is an annual event where universities across the UK aim to make links to one or more of the SDGs within their taught courses.
All of DMU’s taught courses and any other student or staff-led activities are invited to join in the teach-in. The event offers a great opportunity to showcase how learning on a course or at DMU can help students respond to societal challenges such as access to healthcare, social inequality, preserving ecosystems, combatting climate change or more.
The event is coordinated by the SOS-UK (Students Organising for Sustainability), which grew out of the sustainability work of the National Union of Students (NUS).
Video Introduction (3 minutes)
Click HERE or on the image below for a short introductory talk for staff on how to get involved.
How to get involved
There are four suggested ways of getting involved:
- Prepare and deliver a dedicated session within the existing timetable focused on a sustainability issue linked to a course (adaptable slides available below)
- Run a 10-minute activity within a lecture or class, using the slides provided below, that explores links between the SDGs and a particular course
- Invite a member of DMU’s Sustainability Team to drop-in to run the above 10 minute activity
- Organise a standalone event or activity, linking learning with the SDGs. This could be led by staff, student societies or otherwise.
DON’T FORGET TO PLEDGE!
All planned sessions should be registered as a pledge on the national SDG-teach-in website: CLICK HERE.
Please also let the DMU Sustainability Team know about your session by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org . The team can upload your pledge on your behalf if you send an email with: Name; Module Name; No. students who will be reached; Which SDGs will be covered; Online or in-person session; Date and time of session; why you are including the SDGs; where you heard about the teach-in.
Help and Resources Available
- Ideas and resources for teaching sustainability and the SDGs
- 10 minute SDG Teach-in adaptable slide set: the SDGs and your course 10 min slides
- 30-50 minute interactive session adaptable slide set: the SDGs and your course workshop
- Online workshops to discuss planning a session – email email@example.com to express interest or book direct using the “My Development” tab on DMUHub
- Dr Andrew Reeves will be running a series of drop in sessions for Education 2030, to discuss ideas around the SDG Teach In – Education 2030 sessions
- Pending Confirmation
- Pending Confirmation
- Email Signatures to promote the teach-in: Go to either Image 1 (if you have pledged) or Image 2 (to encourage others to pledge) Copy and Paste from the URL into your signature, then add a hyperlink to this page.
Contact for further information:
DMU Sustainability Team: firstname.lastname@example.org
SDG Teach-in Previous Years
In both 2018 and 2019, DMU was ranked in the top five UK universities through staff participation, with classes taking place linked to media, plastic waste, English tuition, energy and more.
The 2020 Teach-in took place from Monday 17th to Friday 21st February 2020 and DMU’s report can be viewed on our sustainability team’s blog. Our Sustainability Team joined some of the lectures and workshops that took place during the week. Overall, the 2020 SDG Teach-in campaign engaged 25,026 students and 307 teaching staff. Across the 24 institutions that participated, DMU placed first for student engagement (~30%) and second for the amount of teaching staff pledges (41).
In 2019, staff attended a workshop to share ideas and resources on how to devise sessions that teach the SDGs, and once again participation on DMU courses was strong.