The Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) Teach-in is a week-long annual event where universities across the UK aim to make links to one or more of the SDGs within their taught courses.
The 2020 Teach-in took place from Monday 17th to Friday 21st February 2020 and DMU’s report can be viewed on our sustainability team’s blog. Our Sustainability Team joined some of the lectures and workshops that took place during the week. Overall, the 2020 SDG Teach-in campaign engaged 25,026 students and 307 teaching staff. Across the 24 institutions that participated, DMU placed first for student engagement (~30%) and second for the amount of teaching staff pledges (41).
All of DMU’s taught courses and any other student or staff-led activities are invited to join in the teach-in. The event offers a great opportunity to showcase how learning on a course or at DMU can help students respond to societal challenges such as access to healthcare, social inequality, preserving ecosystems, combatting climate change or more.
The event is co-ordinated by the SOS-UK (Students Organising for Sustainability), which grew out of the sustainability work of the National Union of Students (NUS).
How to get involved
There are four suggested ways of getting involved:
- Prepare and deliver a dedicated session within the existing timetable focussed on a sustainability issue linked to a course
- Run a 10-minute activity within a lecture or class, using the slides provided below, that explores links between the SDGs and a particular course
- Invite a member of DMU’s Sustainability Team to drop-in to run the above 10 minute activity
- Organise a standalone event or activity, linking learning with the SDGs. This could be led by staff, student societies or otherwise.
DON’T FORGET TO PLEDGE!
All planned sessions should be registered as a pledge on the national SDG-teach-in website: CLICK HERE.
Please also let the DMU Sustainability Team know about your session by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org . The team can upload your pledge on your behalf if you send an email with: Name; Module Name; No. students who will be reached; Which SDGs will be covered; Date and time of session.
Help and Resources Available
- Ideas and resources for teaching sustainability and the SDGs
- 10-minute SDG Teach-in slide set: the SDGs and your course
- Drop-in workshop to discuss planning a session: Portland 1.14, Monday 3rd February 2020
- Email Signatures to promote the teach-in: Go to either Image 1 (if you have pledged) or Image 2 (to encourage others to pledge) Copy and Paste from the URL into your signature, then add a hyperlink to this page.
Contact for further information:
DMU Sustainability Team: email@example.com
SDG Teach-in Previous Years
In both 2018 and 2019, DMU was ranked in the top five UK universities through staff participation, with classes taking place linked to media, plastic waste, English tuition, energy and more.