I am Chidiere Oluoma, and my path to a bachelor’s degree in computer science is driven by a profound desire to become a software developer with a unique focus on how to improve the world we live in. Hailing from Nigeria, a country where sustainable resource utilisation is still emerging, I have witnessed first-hand the environmental degradation plaguing our region, and other parts of the continent. It’s this stark reality that has ignited my determination to effect positive change.

My Nigerian heritage provides me with a deep-rooted connection to the land and a keen understanding of the pressing need for sustainability. The reckless depletion of our natural resources and the harm inflicted on our environment have compelled me to take action. It’s my belief that, as a computing student, I have the potential to steer our world toward a more sustainable path.

In the vast realm of computing, I see the opportunity to make a significant impact. My ambition is to drive green technology innovation, which encompasses the development of energy-efficient algorithms, the creation of sustainable computing architectures, and the integration of renewable energy sources. Through these endeavours, I aim to alleviate pollution, inspire eco-conscious practices, and contribute to a more sustainable future.

However, I do not wish to walk this path alone. Collaboration is at the heart of my journey. I am eager and consider myself honoured to work alongside a team of like-minded individuals, pooling our collective knowledge to develop new and innovative sustainability practices. As I embark on my academic journey in Computer Science, I’m not only focused on refining my technical skills but also on honing my interpersonal abilities. I believe, that together, we can create a more sustainable future for our planet.