Belonging from the remote northern area of Pakistan, namely Hunza Gilgit, the effects of climate change were very obvious to me. Seeing deforestation at a large-scale level and having floods disrupt the normal life of the locals opened my eyes to the importance of sustainability. With this context I was brought up in the city of Lahore, which is recorded to have the worst air quality index in the whole world. The inequalities in the distribution of resources among society was evident from the very start. Whether it was access to education, or the hidden patriarchy embedded into society, I knew I had to play my part for change.

My only days of working for sustainability involved working with the Aga Khan group in delivering educational workshops for underprivileged children in remote areas. Later on as part of a student group, we had done many charity drives to support the homeless with basic necessities, such as clothes, food and sanitation equipment. In my village, with a team of members, I was able to display to local farmers that sustainable farming methods would produce less waste and greenhouse gases while also increasing crop yield. Methods such as the use of greenhouses and crop rotation were used for this purpose.

Since marketing is entrenched in the activities of every department in an organisation, I plan to advocate for sustainable practices in this area. Sustainable marketing will become the new norm in the near future and I plan to be at the forefront of this change. Working with the sustainability team at DMU is an honour and I will be sure to play my part in the activities.